Saturday, February 24, 2018

Let it Evolve

January 2018 was a huge month for me. I knew it would be. I did something in January I have never done before and that was give myself the gift of going on retreat. I am finally learning the value of investing in myself. I went to the EncaustiCastle in KY owned and operated by Patricia Baldwin Seggebruch for a week ahead of our Winter Wax 2018 workshop. It was such a rewarding experience for me to steal myself away so that I could concentrate solely on my art. You may be under the impression that as an artist I am constantly painting and creating. Let me dispel that notion. I have had periods in my life when I have been prolific, but they are usually short lived. 
I actually spend much of my “creative” time thinking, organzing, cleaning, sensing, painting in my head, looking and seeing. All this, with the understanding that it is in preparation for when I do stand at the palette. Over time, I’ve learned to be patient with the process. It has not been an easy thing for me to learn. 
When I do begin to paint, as I have said previously, I like to be witness to what is happening. Its like birthing a baby, you never know what the baby will look like until you see him or her. Okay, maybe an odd metaphor, but I need and want to be open to what comes and honor it for what it is. 
I understand that during the art making process we need to engage a critical eye to make informed decisions. However, I really try to encourage people in my workshops to not use the words like and dislike, or worse, hate. It is possible to learn to let the creation simply be what it is without harsh judgement or negative criticism. I believe the only way for what really wants to be expressed to emerge, is if we do not use dualistic thinking. Art, my art, has taught me this lesson. 

Simply let it evolve. It will, and you won't be exhausted from the process. 

These paintngs are just a few from my time on retreat. Enjoy.









4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathryn, beautifully written. It speaks to me. It was so nice meeting you at Encausticastle and I really hope, to see you again some day. I’ve learned a lot from you and the others which I slowly including in my work. Thank you. Hugs from Switzerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ursi. Sorry not to have responded sooner. I too, hope that we will see each other again. Your presence at Winter Wax was so grounding and I really appreciate your approach to your art. xo

      Delete